Triumph Thruxton R – Suspension

 

Other Blogs - Start - Seat - Suspension - Fly Screen - FEK - Exhaust

TL;DR? Here's Just the Pictures >

 

After reducing the height of the seat, I knew I could lower the bike further by making changes to the suspension. The front would be easy, just loosen the clamps on the yokes and let the bike slide down a bit on the fork tubes. The rear could be lowered with shorter shock absorbers.

In order to retain the geometry of bike for safe handling it was important to me to lower the front and the back about the same amount. There would be slight changes in wheelbase and trail, but if kept even the change wouldn't be noticeable - that's what the internet experts told me so I'd give it a try,

My first attempts to change the shocks was met with disappointment. Ohlins shocks are top of the line and expensive. My hope of having Triumph or Ohlins exchange them was denied. The next best option for me was to change the spring length, reducing the pre-load which would allow the rear of the bike to 'sag' - hopefully the same amount as the front - It worked out, here's how I did it.

 

The front was simple, as mentioned above. Loosen some bolts and let the bike go down, then tighten the bolts.
lower1

 

The adjustment I needed from the rear shocks was to lengthen the springs. I needed to move the rings higher on the shock barrels.
lower2

 

Adjusting out the pre-load of the rear shocks wasn't so easy. The Owner's Handbook said to release the 'lockring' and unscrew the top ring, then the lower ring to lengthen the spring. Turns out they were talking about a different model of Ohlins shock. The shocks supplied did not have threaded rings but rings that were held in place with circlips in grooves to keep the springs from pushing up. Turns out the springs need to be compressed to relieve pressure on the circlips so they can be moved to a higher groove. I made a 'tool' to compress the springs and then just discarded the circlips to let the springs lengthen to their maximum.
lower3

lower4

 

Here's the finished job. With the extra padding removed from the seat, and suspension adjusted letting the bike sit closer to the ground, I believe I took about an inch and a half out of the stand-over height.
lower5

 

 

< Chapter 2 Seat - Home - Chapter 4 Fly Screen >