table of pics
..67 Triumph 500 Street Tracker..

header


While once I wanted to make a bobber, by this time my mind was set on a Street Tracker - Street Trackers are street-legal track bikes or Flat Track Racers with lights and license plate.
Track bikes of the era had a 'bum-stop' seat or a hump to keep you from sliding off the back. Having limited metal or fiberglass fabrication skills, I decided I'd fashion mine from a
10" PVC sewer pipe


While holding an empty toilet paper roll one day I saw that I might section it so that it made the shape of the cowl I wanted - If I dipped my pipe in water, I could get an even pattern to cut.


It worked!


Building the seat pan was easy.


Turned out better than I expected!


Flat Track Race Bikes of the day used Ceriani Forks - I found a set on Ebay.


60s Triumphs came with and raced on Dunlop K-71 tires. They're rather square by today's standards. The Dunlop K-80 is a similar tire with a more modern profile.


Jumping quite a bit ahead here, but the frame, tank and seat painting is done, wheels laced, tires mounted, new shocks and forks installed.
Mating the 1968 front hub with it's coveted twin leading show brakes to the Ceriani forks was a challenge, but finding all these parts on Ebay and getting them to work together was really satisfying.


Mating this brake drum to these fork required figuring some way to keep the brakes from rotating when stopping.


I had a really hard time figuring out why the throw of the rear brake lever was so long and making the brakes not useable.
Turns out I was missing some parts inside.

 


I fashioned a stop light switch from a part intended for a riding lawn mower. This switch is normally closed.
Therefore once the brake pedal is pushed, the switch button comes up and closes the circuit.


Here are some of the new electrical parts needed to make the bike run. Electronic ignition, new coils, new alternator & rectifier and battery.


I drew a diagram with MS Paint. Crude but sufficient.


A still from a video the moment the bike ran for the first time in 43 years!

Here's a video of it running - almost 25,000 views!


The joy was short-lived as the tank split and began leaking.


Leak fixed, bike titled, registered and permitted to park at the university where I work.

Can't believe I turned the $400 lump from Kentucky into this rippin' Li'l RedHot !!

< Home / Other Blogs >